Chicken Chargha is a very famous and popular Chicken dish which is cooked in two different steps, first steaming and then deep frying the steamed Chicken.
Lahore Style Chicken Chargha
Lahore is a city with an extremely rich food culture. People from Lahore are famous all over the country for their love for food. The city offers a vast variety of options when it comes to gastronomy. In recent times, the style of food has achieved popularity in a number of different countries, because of its palatable and milder taste, mainly through the Pakistani diaspora.----source Wikipedia Chicken Chargha is a very famous and popular Chicken dish which is cooked in two different steps, first steaming and then deep frying the steamed Chicken. In this recipe whole chicken is used. I used half chicken, as whole chicken is little bit difficult to handle because of its size in our small kitchens. But in restaurants they use whole chicken for this recipe. Here is the recipe of chicken chargha Lahore style...
Ingredients of Chicken Chargha
- Medium size Half Chicken Or 1 small whole cornish hen skin removed
- Lemon jiuce 1/3 cup
- Salt to taste
- Hung curd or plain greek yogurt 1/2 cup
- Tandoori masala 2 tablespoon
- Red chili powder 1 teaspoon
- Turmeric powder 1/2 teaspoon
- Chili flakes as per taste
- Greenchili paste 1 teaspoon(optional)
- Garam masala powder 1 teaspoon
- Ginger garlic paste 2 teaspoons
- Orange food color -1 small pinch
- Ghee 2 tablespoons
- Oil for deep frying
How to make Chicken Chargha Recipe
- First take the chicken and wash and pat dry with paper towel. Nowplace the chicken on a plate and deep cut on the flesh so that the marination will go deep inside the chicken. Add lemon juice & salt and marinate the chicken and keep aside for 30 minutes.
- Now take a large bowl and add hung curd/plain greek yogurt, tandoori masala, red chili powder, turemric powder, chili flakes, green chili paste, garam masala powder, ginger garlic paste ,orange food color.
- Mix all the ingredients of the bowl using your washed hand. Take the chicken, place into the marination bowl and marinate well.
- Now keep the marinated chicken inside the refridegerator for over night or 8 hours . After 8 hours remove the chicken and keep at the room temperature.
- Now turn on the oven on 350 degree Fahrenhite.
- Apply the ghee on the marinated chicken and put the chicken inside the pre-heated oven till the chicken is cooked completely, it will take 30-40 minutes.
- You can steam the chicken on a regular steamer or rice cooker steamer for 20-25 minutes or till the chicken is tender.
- In the meantime heat oil in a deep frying wok. The oil should be very hot.
- When the chicken will be cooked completely remove it from the oven/steamer and add it to the hot oil to deep fry it. Fry each side for 5 minutes.
- Take the chicken out of the oil and place on a paper towel for 5 minutes.
- Serve hot by sprinkling some chaat masala and lemon juice on the top.