Panthar Mangsher Jhol Or Bengali Mutton Or Goat CurryIn every Bengali have this "Mutton Curry" on the last day of "Durga Puja", that is called "Bijoya Dashami". Because most of the Bengali do not eat non-veg during the 4 days of "Durga Puja". So we break our vegetarian meal tradition on the last day of the "Durga Puja". This is my mom's recipe, and she only cooked today's "Mutton Curry". Plain and simple but delicious "Mutton Curry" can make my mom only.... Hahaha I'm just joking. It is a very simple recipe. Anybody can try this & I'm sure everyone will be successful. Here is the recipe.....
Almost in every Bengali home "Sunday Special Panthar Jhol" is must for lunch menu. This is not a very rich curry. This kind of "Mangsher Jhol" is cooked with very less spices, just like stew. This type of "Mangsher Jhol" goes well with Plain Steamed Rice and cucumber, onion salad. Goat meat is itself little rich. So you can not have a lot at a time. And Goat meat should be consumed at lunch only. This meat is little difficult to digest.
Steps to Prepare
- Take the Goat Meat and clean the meat thoroughly. Wash the meat and strain the excess water.
- Now take the meat into a large bowl, add curd, turmeric, red chili, cumin powder, coriander powder, garlic, ginger paste, tomato, 2 tablespoons oil and marinate the meat very well using your own hand. Now leave the marinated meat for atleast 2 hours. Overnight marination is the best for goat meat.
- Take a large wok or pan, heat Mustard oil into the pan. When the oil will be Smokey, add the potatoes and fry till golden brown, take them out and keep into a pressure cooker.
- In the same oil add Bay Leaf, Methi Seeds and fry for 2-3 seconds. Add the onion to the pan, add salt & sugar and cover the pan. Let the onion cook on low heat for 5 minutes.
- After 5 minutes, add the marinated meat to the pan and again cover the pan. Let the meat cook on low meat for atleast 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- After 20 minutes open the pan , higher the heat little and start frying the meat, which is called "Koshano" in Bengali till oil oozes from the meat.
- Now take two cups of water and boil it, add the boiled water into the pan.Now take a pressure cooker and put everything into it along with the fried potatoes, close the lid of the cooker and place it on medium heat.
- Cook the meat on medium flame atleast for 3 whistles. After 3 whistles, turn off the heat and let the pressure itself. When all the pressure released,check if the meat is tender enough, if not again close the lid and pressure cook for another 2 whistles. Open the lid, sprinkle the ghee & garam masala.
- Serve "Panthar Mangsher Jhol" / Bengali Mutton Curry with steamed rice & cucumber salad... Enjoy....
If you like this recipe, please go to my Facebook Page and hit the like button to get regular updates.