Panthar Mangsher Jhol Or Bengali Mutton Or Goat Curry
In every Bengali have this "Mutton Curry" on the last day of "Durga Puja", that is called "Bijoya Dashami". Because most of the Bengali do not eat non-veg during the 4 days of "Durga Puja". So we break our vegetarian meal tradition on the last day of the "Durga Puja". This is my mom's recipe, and she only cooked today's "Mutton Curry".
Ingredients of Bengali Mutton Curry
- Mutton/Goat Meat 1 kg, with bone
- Plain Curd 4 tablespoons
- Turmeric Powder 1 teaspoon
- Red Chili Powder 1 teaspoon or as per taste
- Cumin Powder 1 teaspoon
- Coriander Powder 1 teaspoon
- Ginger Paste 2 tablespoons
- Garlic Paste 3 tablespoons
- Tomato 2 large, cut into pieces
- Mustard Oil 1 cup + 2 tablespoons
- Potato 4 large, cut each into 2 pieces
- Bay Leaf 2 large
- Methi/Fenugreek Seeds 8 to 10 seeds
- Onion 4 cups
- Salt & sugar as per taste
- Ghee Or Clarified Butter 1 teaspoon
- Garam Masala Powder 1/2 teaspoon
You may also like
How to make Bengali Mutton Curry Recipe
- Take the Goat Meat and clean the meat thoroughly. Wash the meat and strain the excess water.
- Now take the meat into a large bowl, add curd, turmeric, red chili, cumin powder, coriander powder, garlic, ginger paste, tomato, 2 tablespoons oil and marinate the meat very well using your own hand. Now leave the marinated meat for atleast 2 hours. Overnight marination is the best for goat meat.
- Take a large wok or pan, heat Mustard oil into the pan. When the oil will be Smokey, add the potatoes and fry till golden brown, take them out and keep into a pressure cooker.
- In the same oil add Bay Leaf, Methi Seeds and fry for 2-3 seconds. Add the onion to the pan, add salt & sugar and cover the pan. Let the onion cook on low heat for 5 minutes.
- After 5 minutes, add the marinated meat to the pan and again cover the pan. Let the meat cook on low meat for atleast 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- After 20 minutes open the pan , higher the heat little and start frying the meat, which is called "Koshano" in Bengali till oil oozes from the meat.
- Now take two cups of water and boil it, add the boiled water into the pan.Now take a pressure cooker and put everything into it along with the fried potatoes, close the lid of the cooker and place it on medium heat.
- Cook the meat on medium flame atleast for 3 whistles. After 3 whistles, turn off the heat and let the pressure itself. When all the pressure released,check if the meat is tender enough, if not again close the lid and pressure cook for another 2 whistles. Open the lid, sprinkle the ghee & garam masala.
- Serve "Panthar Mangsher Jhol" / Bengali Mutton Curry with steamed rice & cucumber salad... Enjoy....
If you like this recipe, please go to my Facebook Page and hit the like button to get regular updates.
Recipe Review Details
Recipe Rank - 4.49/5
No of likes - 1379