In this recipe, the rice should be lightly fried in Ghee, and the milk, ghee fried rice would be boiled in caramel along with chopped nuts.
Bhoger Payesh/Poromanno Or Bengali Style Rice Pudding
- Take a pan, in which you are going to prepare the Payesh, melt the ghee in it. Add the strained rice & the chopped nuts to it, fry for couple of minutes. Do not burn the rice.
- Take the rice & the chopped nuts and keep aside.
- In the same pan add the 2 tablespoons of sugar and 2 tablespoons of water into the pan, and caramel the sugar by stirring constantly on low heat.
- When the caramel will be made, add the fried rice & chopped nuts to the same pan, add the milk and start boiling all together.
- Add bay leaf, crushed cardamom pods & saffron milk into the same pan and boil everything till the milk reduce and thicken. It will take at least 15-20 minutes.
- The color of the Payesh will be brownish for the caramel. When the milk will look like thicken and Payesh like texture, add the rest of the sugar and boil for 2 minutes.
- Turn off the heat, add the rose water , stir and let the Poromanno to cool down completely.
- Dedicate the 'Poromanno' to the God and have it as prasad. Or if you are not making the Payesh for Bhog, then keep refrigerator for 1-2 hours, remove just before serving.
- Garnish with chopped Pistachios on the top.
- If you like this recipe, please visit my Facebook Page & hit the like button for regular updates.