Shukto is a traditional bengali dish, which is a part of a full course bengali meal.
Bengali Traditional Vegetable Curry - Shukto or Sukto
Ingredients of Shukto
- Vadi/Bori -10 pieces
- Bitter gourd 2, cut into small pieces
- Potato 1, cut into length wise
- Sweet potato -1, cut into length wise
- Eggplant 1 medium size, cut into length wise
- Radish 1 medium size, cut into length wise
- Plantain or Raw banana -1, cut into length wise
- Gati kochu or Taro root 2, cut into length wise
- Long beans or borboti 5, chopped in medium size
- Drumsticks 2, peeled and chopped in medium size
Shukto moshla :
- Panch foron or bengali five spices 1 tablespoon
- Radhuni or celery seeds -1/2 teaspoon
- Whole cumin seeds 1 teaspoon
- Whole coriander seeds 1 teaspoon
- Black mustard seeds 1/2 teaspoon
- Black pepper corn 1/3 teaspoon
For Tempering :
- Ghee 1 tablespoon
- Bay leaf 2
- Panch foron or bengali five spices 1/2 teaspoon
- Radhuni or celery seeds 1/2 teaspoon
- Ginger julienne 1 teaspoon
Other ingredients :
- Mustard oil 3 tablespoon
- Coconut milk 2 cups+1/2 cup
- All purpose flour or Maida 2 teaspoon
- Salt to taste
- Sugar to taste
How to make Shukto Recipe
Take a big kadai and heat mustard oil in it. Fry the bori first, and keep aside. Now fry the bitter gourd pieces and keep aside them too.
In the same oil add all the vegetables, add some salt and fry for 2 minutes.
In the meantime, dry roast all the spices mentioned under the heading named ' Shukto Moshla' till nice aroma comes , let them cool down and the grind to make fine powder. Shukto moshla is ready now. You may make a large amount of it and store for later use.
Now add the Shukto moshla into the kadai and keep mixing with the vegetables. Now add the 2 cups coconut milk into the kadai, lower the heat, cover with a lid and let the vegetables cook for 10 minutes.
After 10 minutes, open the lid check the salt, add some if needed, add sugar as per taste, add the fried bori & bitter gourd, higher the flame and let the gravy boil for 2 minutes.
If you think the gravy becomes thicker add some warm water to it and boil for 1 minute.
Tempering the Shukto :
Now pour the Shukto in a large serving bowl. Clean the kadai, add ghee into it, melt it, add bay leaf, panch foron, radhuni, ginger julienne, fry for few seconds, add the cooked Shukto into the kadai, let it boil for 2 minutes.
In the meantime, take the 1/2 cup coconut milk, add 2 teaspoon maida, mix it. No lump should be in the mixture.
Now add this maida mixture in the Shukto, boil for 1 minute and turn off the heat.
Serve Shukto as a starter of a full course bengali thali.