The Jim Corbett National Park is a part of the largest Corbett Tiger Reserve, the Project Tiger lies in the Nainital district of Uttarakhand. The Majestic landscape of Corbett is well-known for its tiger richness. The park is located in the Ramnagar, a city of Uttrakhand state of India, around 260 km from New Delhi. Reckoned to be the one of the oldest Tiger Reserves in Asia, Corbett that is spread between Nainital and Pauri districts of Uttarakhand Himalayas, is indeed a wildlife tourism destination you must have heard the name of at least once in your lifetime. Apparently, it is one of the most visited reserves in the country as it is popular for housing the greatest number of wild tigers in India and is amongst the best-maintained wildlife vacation sites.
Complete Details of Jim Corbett National Park - Tiger Reserve
Before we begin with the essentials of planning a Corbett holiday, let’s take a look at its highlights:
Location: Nainital and Pauri Garhwal District
Area: 520 sq km (200 sq mi) of core area and 797.72 sq km (308.00 sq mi) of buffer area.
When To Visit
The Months of November to June are the perfect months to visit Corbett National Park as the park remains open for tourists during these months only. The Park remains closed as the monsoon season approaches. The main reason for the closure of the park during the rest of year is that the roads inside the park get washed away due to rain.
Number of Safari Zones: 6 (5 major zones and 1 zone outside but in close proximity to the national park)
- Dhikala Zone (Most-visited) - Canter Safari Zone Being the largest and the most diversified jungle safari zone in Corbett, Dhikala is famous for its bountiful natural beauty as well as for offering the best sight for its exotic fauna. The Entry gate is 18 km away from Ramnagar city. Night stay inside the Dhikala Tourism Zone is highly recommended for the hardcore wildlife enthusiasts.
- Bijrani Zone - Jeep Safari Zone, Day Jeep Safari Bijrani Zone is a very popular tourist hub because of its bountiful natural beauty and open grasslands. The entry gate of the zone is located at only 1 Km from Ramnagar city.
- Jhirna Zone - Jeep Safai Zone, Only Day Jeep Safari Jhirna is another important tourist zone in the Jim Corbett National park which is open for tourists round the year. Jhirna Gate is located at a distance of 16 km from Ramnagar city.
- Durgadevi Zone - Jeep Safari Zone, Day Safari Only Located at the north eastern boundary of the Jim Corbett National Park, Durga Devi zone is the heaven on planet earth for those who are fond of bird watching. The Entry gate is located at an approximate distance of 36 km from Ramnagar city.
- Dhela Zone - Jeep Safari Zone, Only Day Safari Dhela is a new eco-tourism zone in the Corbett National Park which was included in the tiger reserve zone in November 2014.
- Sitabani Zone (Outside the park) - Sitabani Zone doesn't fall under the Corbett Tiger Reserve area. But, if you are fond of the serene ambiance of the natural beauty, you must visit the Sitabani area.
For more information please view official website.
How to reach Jim Corbett National Park
Reaching Corbett Tiger Reserve is easy. This destination which is one of the best places to see wildlife in Asia, is situated at a short distance from Ramnagar in Uttarakhand, which by the way is well-connected by road to major places in the state as well as from Delhi and a few other major cities in the neighbouring states.
By Rail: The nearest railway station to Corbett National Park is in Ramnagar, which is only 10-12 km from the reserve. There is another railway station at a distance of about 3 hours away from Ramnagar, Kathgodam. This railway station enjoys better connectivity with several major cities in India than the one in Ramnagar.
By Road: Corbett is well-connected by road, especially with Delhi, Nainital, Lucknow, Moradabad, and Bareilly. There are direct buses from Anand Vihar ISBT between Delhi and Corbett. National Capital City of India, the park is easily accessible through the Railway and Roadway routes
- Delhi - 260 Km road distance,The Roadway is the best option to commute from Delhi to Corbett as the road trip has its own allure, especially, in the pleasant weather. The Delhi to Corbett road distance is around 245 km and 6 hours of drive.
- Nainital - 60 Km road distance, can take a private cab to reach Jim Corbett national Park gate or near by hotel.
- Katgodam - 55 km road distance, Same, can take a private cab to reach Jim Corbett national Park gate or near by hotel.
By Flight : The nearest Domestic Airport is Pantnagar Airport, Pantnagar, roughly one and half hours drive from Corbett.
Where to stay in Ramnagar
A multitude of hotels around Corbett National Park determines the popularity of this wildlife reserve in India. Yes, in Corbett nothing can stop you from availing a hotel of your choice. The accommodation options in Corbett range from budget hotels to mid-range to luxury resorts, thus, whatever your budget be, there will be a hotel and resort for you to offer a warm welcome. We stayed at Krishna Wilderness Retreat, Dhikuli. Nice resort, food and stay was both excellent. Its very near to Amdanda gate for Bijrani Zone, around 11 kms only. Price was around Rs 3000 per day.
Oh, there are jungle camps available in Corbett as well that too come in the varied categories. The Forest Rest Houses in Dhikala Zone are reckoned the best for a stay in Corbett.
Activities to Do in Jim Corbett
- Jeep Safari in Jim Corbett
- Canter Safari in Jim Corbett
- Bird Watching in Jim Corbett
- Fishing & Angling in Corbett
Adventure Activities in Corbett
- Bridge Slithering
- Rock Climbing
- Mountain Biking
Jim Corbett National Park Top Attractions
Jungle Safari Booking
Best Zones for Enjoying Safari in Corbett
There are 5 major safari zones in Corbett National Park, and one outside the boundary of the reserve (scroll up to know their names). Amongst these zones, Dhikala and Bijrani are considered the best for watching tigers in the jungle. However, Dhikala remains popular amongst the tourists.Jhirna is the only zone that remains open throughout the year, while the others are closed in the monsoon season between mid-June and September end.
Safari Types in Jim Corbett National Park
Jeep safari is available in every zone in Corbett; however, canter safari can only be enjoyed in the Dhikala Zone of the park. Only two canters are allowed inside the Dhikala Zone at a time and 16 tourists can be accommodated in one vehicle.
On the other hand, jeeps can accommodate only 6 people. Also, one can determine their prime interest before selecting a jeep safari i.e birdwatching or tiger safari as the provisions will be made accordingly.
Safari Timings in Jim Corbett National Park
The best time to visit Corbett National Park is during the early hours in the morning. This time of the day increases your chance to sight a variety of animal species including tigers, which are nocturnal. The jeep safari can complete the tour in one day. They are easily available from the various resorts located in Ramnagar. The park opens at 5:30 in the morning and closes at 10:00. Again the tourists can go inside the park at 2:00 in the afternoon and it shuts at 6:00 in the evening.
Evening safaris are not bad either, there are still good chances of spotting several animals. Each safari is for 3 hrs, offering the visitors a complete tour of the zone.
Price Details :
Ticket for Park Entry - Rs. 200 per head + GST
Vehicle Entry charges : Rs. 250 + GST
Gypsy Charge : Rs. 2500
Guide Charges : Rs. 800
During The Summer Season (April To June) :
Don't expect any leniency in the scorching heat during the summer season that remains from April to June months every year. The temperature varies between 35 and 47 degree Celsius during this time so more the light clothes you wear more comfortable you will feel. The light colored thin cotton T-shirts are most suitable in this season. Along with the light clothes, you must carry a cap or hat, sunglasses, scarf to protect yourself from the sun rays.
During The Winter Season (Mid-November To Mid-February) :
The weather has been started to get colder from the month of November but during the December and January, it gets very cold so you must carry the warm clothes if you are visiting Corbett in this season.
Additional Sightseeing Destinations/ Activity
- Kosi River
- Corbett Falls
- Girija Devi Temple
- Jim Corbett National Museum(It falls on the way to Jim Corbett National Park, 30 mins visit time)