Sunday Special Chicken Curry
Murgir Jhol is liberally seasoned with turmeric, garlic, onions, and grated ginger. Potatoes are added to the stew as a thickening agent. Tomatoes are also added to impart the dish with a reddish color which is preferred by the people of Bengal. Sunday's lunch menu is not complete without "Murgir Jhol".
Murgir Jhol is liberally seasoned with turmeric, garlic, onions, and grated ginger. Potatoes are added to the stew as a thickening agent.
Ingredients of Bengali Murgir Jhol | Sunday Chicken Curry
- Small chicken 1, approx 750gms, cut into medium size bone-in pieces
For Marination :
- Curd 1/2 cup
- Onion 1 medium size, chopped
- Ginger 1" long piece
- Garlic 10 small cloves if the cloves are big in size then 5 cloves
- Green Chili 2 or to taste
- Turmeric powder 1 teaspoon
- Red chili powder 1/2 teaspoon or to taste
- Tomatoes 2 medium size, chopped
Other Ingredients :
- Potato 2 medium size, halved
- Onion 2 medium size finely chopped
- Ginger paste 1 tespoon
- Garlic paste 1 tablespoon
- Bay leaf 1
- Fenugreek/Methi seeds 5 to 6 seeds
- Green Cardamom Pods -2
- Clove 2
- Cinnamon Stick 1" long
- Little Javetry
- Salt & sugar as per taste
- Mustard oil - 4 tablespoons
- Cilantro - 2 tablespoons chopped
You may also like
How to make Bengali Murgir Jhol | Sunday Chicken Curry Recipe
- Clean and wash the chicken under tap water and put in a large strainer & keep aside for 30 minutes.
- In the meantime take the 1 chopped onion, garlic, ginger, green chili in a grinder and make a paste.
- After 30 minutes take a large bowl and place the chicken pieces into it and marinate it with curd turmeric, red chili, onion garlic ginger & chili paste, chopped tomatoes and 1 tablespoon oil and set aside for 1 hour.
- Now heat the remaining oil in a heavy bottomed pan and fry the potatoes till golden brown and keep in a bowl.
- In the same oil add the whole garam masala (green cardamom pods, cloves, cinnamon stick, little javetry, bay leaf, methi seeds) and fry till they start splatturing.
- When they'll start splatturing add the onion and some salt and sugar and cover the pan and simmer it to make the onion soft.
- When the onion will be soft add the ginger garlic paste and fry for 5 minutes with adding little water.Now add the marinated chicken and cover the pan and cook the chicken on medium heat for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes open the lid and higher the heat to evaporate all the water came out from the chicken.
- When all the water will be evaporated fry the chicken with the masala till oil comes out from the masala.
- When oil starts coming from the masala add 2 cups of water in to the pan and place all the curry in a pressure cooker, add fried potatoes and pressure cook with 2 whistles.
- If you do not have any Pressrue Cooker, cook the chicken curry in the same pan where you stir fried the chicken with the spices. Add 2 cups of hot water to the pan and cook the chicken with an airtight lid on medium low heat for 15-20 minutes, till the chicken and potatoes are tender.
- When the pressure will be out from the cooker open the lid, add chopped cilantro and serve the "Murgir Jhol" with steamed rice.
Serving TipsServe this "Murgir Jhol" with Plian Steamed Rice & Salad.
Recipe Review Details
Recipe Rank - 4.52/5
No of likes - 1216