This goes with Rice only for lunch. Bengalies love fish in mustard gravy and this is a Cilantro based Mustard gravy.
Dhonepata Sorshe Bata Die Machh
Fish is Bengali's all time favorite Non-veg item. We can't think our day without fish. Trout is not an Indian fish. But I just mix and match it with Bengali style and made this awesome flavorful dish with Cilantro. This curry has a greeny texture for Cilantro. This goes with Rice only for lunch. Bengalies love fish in mustard gravy and this is a Cilantro based Mustard gravy. Here is the recipe..
Ingredients of Dhonepata Machh
- Any Fish like Tilapia, Parshe, Bhetki, Mullet - 1 medium size fish cut into steaks
- Turmeric powder - 1 tablespoon
- Salt 1 tablespoon + as per taste for the gravy
- Yellow Mustard seeds - 2 tablespoons
- Poppy seeds - 2 tablespoons
- Cilantro - 1 bunch
- Mustard oil 4 tablespoons + 1 tablespoon
- Kalonji or Nigella - 1 teaspoon
- Green chilies - 4 to 5 (adjust to your taste)
How to make Dhonepata Machh Recipe
- Take the fish pieces and wash them thoroughly and rinse. Now marinate them with half of the Salt & Turmeric and keep aside for 15 minutes.
- Take the Mustard seeds, Poppy seeds, some salt and 2 Green chilies in a small spice grinder and grind to make a smooth paste with 2 tablespoons of water. Now add all the Cilantro with the paste and grind again to make it smooth. This time do not add any water.
- Now take a non stick pan and heat 4 tablespoons of oil in it. When the oil will start smokeing, add the fish pieces (Do not add more than 3 pieces) and fry them till golden brown on both sides, and put onto a paper towel.
- When all the marinated fish steaks are fried take the Nigella or Kalongi and rub into your palm and add to the same oil along with 2 green chilies. When they start cracking add the Mustard + Poppy seeds + Cilantro paste and stir fry for couple of minutes.
- Now add 1 1/2 cup of water to it and let the gravy to a nice boil. When the gravy will start boiling add the fried steaks and boil the gravy for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Adjust the salt to your taste. After 10 minutes off the oven and serve hot with Steamed Rice.