Mackerel is a very tasty sea fish with very strong flavor and very similar to Bengali "Hilsha" fish. This fish is very healthy and full of Omega-3 fatty acid.
Bengali Style Mackerel Fish In Mustard Paste Gravy
- First marinate the fish steaks with some salt and Turmeric powder and keep aside for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes heat 1 1/2 tablespoon of mustard oil in a pan, add marinated fish steaks and lightly fry them.
- After lightly frying take them out of the pan and place into a bowl. You can see the oil of the pan is almost double after frying the fish.
- So you do not need any excess oil for rest of the cooking. Now in the same oil add Kalongi and Green Chilies and fry for few seconds.
- Add potato slices and fry till they are golden brown. Now take a bowl and add the Black Mustard paste, 1 cup water, salt to taste and turmeric powder and mix them.
- Add the Mustard paste mixture to the pan along with the fried fish steaks, cover the pan and cook over medium heat till the potatoes are cooked enough.
- Check if the potatoes are cooked or not, if cooked then turn off the oven and let the curry stand for 5 minutes and then serve with steamed rice.