This fruit cake is packaged with raisins, dried cranberries, dried apricots, and candied fruit, dark Rum, Nuts are also included as Caramel Or Butterscotch Syrup.
Rich Christmas Fruit Cake With Lots Of Rum Soaked Dry Fruits & Nuts
Everyone has their to-do list of recipes for Christmas and new year. For me, this year it was the Fruit cake. Fruit cake is a combination of nuts, dried fruits, spices and enough cake batter to hold all of it together. It has different versions especially in united states, where you find different rich versions also, like some may be iced and decorated. If you look back into history, the earliest recipe would list Pomegranate seeds, pine seeds, pine nuts and raisins. Even at that time it was mixed with barley. Also you will find that, at some times honey spices, and fruits with preservatives were added. In India, Fruit cake is a rich dense cake packed with dry fruits and nuts flavored with spices usually made during Christmas. In India, this is found everywhere during Christmas season, although it is also available commonly throughout the year. This fruit cake is packaged with raisins, dried cranberries, dried apricots, and candied fruit, dark Rum, Nuts are also included as Caramel Or Butterscotch Syrup. Fruit cakes should be made about three to four weeks before Christmas so that you can brush it with alcohol several times and allow the flavors to mingle. But that's not a mandatory step to do, Many people do like the flavor of Alcohol in cake, its up to your choice. Last not the least, this cake can be frozen so it's a very good idea to make two of this and freeze one for later part of the year.
Ingredients of Rich Christmas Fruit Cake
- Unsalted Butter 1 cup Or 2 sticks
- Large Eggs 4
- Sugar 2 cups
- Ground Cinnamon 1 teaspoon
- Ground Clove 1 teaspoon
- Ground Nutmeg 1 teaspoon
- All Purpose Flour 2 cups
- Baking Powder 1/2 teaspoon
- Baking Soda 1/2 teaspoon
- Caramel Syrup/Butterscotch Syrup 1/2 cup
- Dark Rum/Brandy/Any Fruit Juice(I used fresh Orange Juice) 1/2 cup + 4 tablespoons
- Dark Rum Soaked Dry Fruits & Nuts 3 cups (See my soaking method of dry fruits)
- If you did not soaked your dry fruits & nuts, no worry. Just soak them before 2-3 hours of the baking the cake. If you do not want to soak them in Rum, Soak them in Orange Juice. It will give your Fruit Cake a very nice fruit flavor...
How to make Rich Christmas Fruit Cake Recipe
- Take the two sticks of butter at the room temperature and beat with an Electric Beater for 5 minutes. Now add the Eggs one at a time and beat. Beat the mixture for 10-15 minutes.
- Add the Ground Spices & Sugar to the Egg mixture and beat for another 10 minutes.
- In an another large bowl mix All Purpose Flour, Baking Powder, Baking Soda very well.
- Mix the "Dark Rum Soaked Dry Fruits & Nuts" into the Flour mixture. Now add the Egg mixture to the Flour mixture and with an wooden spoon mix them very well.
- Add Caramel/Butterscotch & Dark Rum/Brandy/Any Fruit Juice to the Cake batter and mix with the batter. Make sure there is no lump in the mixture.
- Preheat the oven to 350F Or 185C. Grease 2 loaf pan with butter and dust some flour inside the pan. It will make your cake easy to remove from the pan.
- Pour the mixture and bake until the cakes baked properly. It will take atleast 40 to 50 minutes. Insert a knife inside two of the cakes, if the knife comes clear, your cake is ready.
- If not bake for another 5 to 10 minutes. Remove the pan and let the cake cool down properly.
- Now prick the top of the cake with a fork and pour Dark Rum/Brandy/Any Fruit Juice on the top, keep the soaked cake for 1-2 hours, slice and serve on Christmas Eve....