Kolkata Style Chili Chicken
Indian Chinese cuisine is the adaptation of Chinese seasoning and cooking techniques to Indian tastes. The Indian Chinese cuisine is said to have been developed by the small Chinese community that has lived in Kolkata for over a century.Chili Chicken is the most common dish of this fusion Indo-Chinese cuisine. This spicy Chinese dish could be found in almost every restaurants in Kolkata. Fried rice is served with this dish. But Hakka noodles also goes well with this dish. The vegetarian version of this dish should be cooked with Panner, baby corn or Gobi instead of Chicken. And this Chili chicken & fried rice considered as the most deadly Chinese combo. Indo-Chinese cuisine is totally incomplete without these combo. This chili chicken can be served as starter or main course. If for starter it is served, then just toss the chicken and veggies with the sauce and serve hot, but for main course, this must be semi gravy kind of. Today I'm going to share this spicy chili chicken recipe with my blog lovers...
Thick cornflour coated boneless chicken pieces, sauted and tossed in 3 different types of sauces along with bell pepper or capsicum. This can be dry or semi gravy. Chili chicken is not at all too spicy, it's a perfect combination of sour, sweet and hot. If you're making for starter, then the chicken and capsicum will be crispy texture, but in gravy version, it will be soft and chewy. For the hotness of the dish, adjust the spice level as per your taste. I prefer it medium spicy, so that my kiddo also can enjoy the homemade Chili Chicken. In restaurants, they use MSG & Food color for the Unique Chinese taste, but belive me, you can still make restaurant style chili chicken without using MSG & Food color.
Chili Chicken is the most common dish of this fusion Indo-Chinese cuisine. This spicy Chinese dish could be found in almost every restaurants in Kolkata. Fried rice is served with this dish. But Hakka noodles also goes well with this dish.
Ingredients of Chili Chicken
For Chicken marination :
- Boneless skinless Chicken, cut into bite size pieces 1 lb or games
- Ginger garlic paste 2 teaspoons
- White Vinegar 1 teaspoon
- Dark Soya sauce 3 to 4 tablespoons
- Crashed Black pepper 1/2 teaspoon
- Egg 1
- Maida 4 tablespoons
- Cornflour 4 tablespoons
- Vegetable or Canola oil 1/2 cup
For the Chili chicken sauce :
- Garlic minced 1 tablespoon
- Ginger grated 1/2 teaspoon
- Green chilies chopped 2 or as per taste
- Onion diced 1
- Green Bell pepper Or Capsicum 1 diced
- Dark Soya sauce 3 tablespoons
- Red chili sauce 1 tablespoon (if not available, use Sambal)
- Tomato Ketchup 1/2 cup
- Salt 1/2 teaspoon
- Cornflour 2 teaspoons dissolved into 1/2 cup of warm water
- Spring onion for garnishing
You may also like
How to make Chili Chicken Recipe
- Take a bowl and marinate the chicken pieces with all the ingredients under the heading of "For Chicken marination" and keep the marinated chicken aside for 1 hour.
- Now take a pan and heat oil in it. Add the marinated chicken and fry till they are golden brown. Take the fried chicken out of the pan and keep on a paper towel.
- Now in the same oil Add the minced garlic, ginger & chopped chilies and saute fro few seconds.
- Now add diced onion and saute again. Add Green Bell paper , and all the 3 sauces one by one into the pan. Stir quickly. Let the sauces to boil for 1 minute.
- Add the fried chicken pieces and stir well to coat the sauces.
- Now add the corn flour mixed warm water to thicken the gravy.
- When the gravy will be thicken turn off the heat and serve the chili chicken, garnishing with chopped spring onion.
Recipe Review Details
Recipe Rank - 4.53/5
No of likes - 222