Parshe Macher Jhal Or Parshe Fish In Mustard Gravy
- Fish curry is the main item of every Bengali lunch menu. Bengalis know for their love for fish. Parshe or baby mullet fish is a well known fish in Bengali kitchen. Small in size, fitted well within the palm, Parshe has an immaculate taste which is simply unmatched. I am pretty fond of Parshe fish and invariably all of its preparations, among which the simplest one is the present recipe which can be cooked any day almost in no time . This recipe I adopted from my mom. This is a comfort Bengali mild fish curry can be made for regular cooking. So without elaborating the speech, I'm going to share the easy recipe of 'Parshe Macher Jhal'...
Parshe fishes are cooked with eggplant, potato, tomato & thin mustard paste. This fish curry goes best with steamed rice
Ingredients of Parshe Macher Jhal
- Parshe Mach 10 pieces
- Turmeric 1 + 1/2 teaspoon
- Salt 1 + 1/2 teaspoon
- Mustard Oil 4 tablespoons
- Kalo jeere/Kalonji/Nigella seeds 1/2 teaspoon
- Green Chili 2 to 3
- Eggplant 2 medium size, cut into lengthwise
- Potatoes 2 medium size, cut into lengthwise
- Tomato 1 medium, chopped
- Poppy Seeds paste 1 tablespoon
- Mustard Paste 3 tablespoons
- Cilantro, chopped for garnishing
You may also like
How to make Parshe Macher Jhal Recipe
- Take the fish, wash, clean and marinate with 1 teaspoon turmeric & salt, keep aside.
- Heat oil in a wok, when the oil starts smoking, add the fish in a small batch of 2-3 and fry till golden brown. But very carefully, this fishes are very delicate. In this way fry rest of the fishes.
- Now in the same oil, add green chilis & kalo jeere, fry for few seconds, add the eggplant & potato, fry till they look fried.
- Now add the tomato, salt, turmeric and fry till the tomatoes get pulpy. Now add the poppy seed paste into the pan and fry along with the vegetables.
- In the mean time take the mustard paste in a bowl, add 1 cup water and mix well to make the paste thinner. Strain the mustard paste into another bowl.
- Add the strained mustard paste into the pan, cover the pan and let the gravy boil. When it will start boiling, add the fried fish and let the curry boil for 5 minutes till the vegetables are cooked.
- If the vegetables are cooked, turn off the heat, garnish with chopped cilantro.
- Enjoy with steamed rice.
Recipe Review Details
Parshe Macher Jhal Or Parshe Fish In Mustard Gravy Bengali
Recipe Rank - 4.53/5
No of likes - 554