Kerala Style Prawn Biryani Or Chemmen Biryani
Biryani is a one pot meal. Rice & meat or vegetables or fish are cooked together with lots of spices. Different regions have different types of biryani. North Indian biryanis are almost similar to Mughlai style biryani. Awadhi or lucknow style biryani is also very popular. On the other hand in Bengal meat or fish cooked with semi cooked rice & potato. Biryanies have many varieties like Chicken biryani, mutton biryani, egg biryani, fish biryani, prawn biryani, vegetable biryani etc. Today I'm going to share you the typical Kerala Style Prawn/Chemmen Biryani which is very easy to make but taste awesome. In this biryani prawn is cooked with curry leaves & coconut paste. This is a very easy quick fix dinner recipe. Here it is....
Today I'm going to share you the typical Kerala Style Prawn/Chemmen Biryani which is very easy to make but taste awesome. In this biryani prawn is cooked with curry leaves & coconut paste.
Ingredients of Kerala Style Prawn Biryani
For The Prawn Masala :
- Prawn 15 pieces, medium size
- Turmeric 1/2 teaspoon
- Salt 1/2 teaspoon(for marination), and amount to taste
- Lemon Juice 2 tablespoons
- Vegetable Oil 3 tablespoons
- Black Mustard Seeds 1/2 teaspoon
- Curry Leaves 2 springs
- Onion 1 medium, chopped
- Ginger garlic paste 1 tablespoon
- Turmeric 1/2 teaspoon
- Red chili powder as per taste
- Cumin powder 1/2 teaspoon
- Green chilis 2
- Tomato 1 medim size chopped
- Coconut 1/2 cup chopped
- Cilantro 1/2 cup, chopped
- Mint leaves 1/2 cup, chopped
For The Rice :
- Basmati Rice 2 cups, wash & soak the rice in water for 30 minutes
- Salt 1 tablespoon
- Vegetable oil 1 tablespoon
- Cinnamon 1 stick
- Cloves 2
- Cardamom pods 2
- Pepper corns 5 to 6
- Bay leaf 1 large
- Shahi Jeera 1/2 teaspoon
For Biryani :
- Large Handi Or Dutch Oven
- Ghee Or Butter 2 to 3 tablespoons
- Warm Milk 1/2 cup
- Saffron 1 pinch
- Atta Dough to seal the handi
You may also like
How to make Kerala Style Prawn Biryani Recipe
- First soak the saffron into the warm milk and keep aside for later use.
- Take the prawns, deshelled, divined and wash them. Add 1/2 teaspoon turmeric, salt & lemon juice and keep aside.
- Now make smooth paste of tomato, green chili, curry leaves from 1 spring & chopped coconut in a small grinder and keep aside.
Prepare The Prawn Masala :
- Heat oil in a pan, fry the prawns carefully, take them out of the pan and keep aside.
- Now in the same oil add rest of the curry leaves, black mustard seeds. When they will start splatters add the chopped onion, some salt & fry them till the onion looks golden brown.
- Add ginger & garlic paste, sprinkle some water and fry till the raw smell of garlic goes off.
- Now add turmeric, red chili & cumin powder, again sprinkle some water and fry everything till oil oozes from the spices.
- Now add the coconut, curry leaves, green chili & tomato paste into the pan and stir well. Stir till oil separates from the masala.
- Add chopped cilantro, mint leaves & fried prawns to the pan and mix with the masala very carefully.
- When everything is mixed well turn off the heat.
- While the prawn masala was getting ready, wash the rice under tap water and soak in the water for 30 minutes.
Prepare The Biryani Rice :
- Boil enough water in a large pot. Add everything written under the heading "For the rice" except rice.
- While the water will start boiling add the rice and cook till 80% cooked. Now train the rice in a large pasta strainer and spread the strained rice on a large tray.
Making The Biryani In Handi/Dutch Oven
- Take a handi/dutch oven, grease the bottom with some ghee or butter, spread half of the rice at the bottom, sprinkle some ghee on the rice, add all the prawn mixture on the rice bed, add rest of the rice, ghee and saffron soaked milk on the top, seal the handi/dutch oven with a air tight lid and atta dough.
- Put the handi/dutch oven on a pan with some water in it on medium heat for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes turn off the heat, stand the biryani for atleast 30 minutes.
- Cut the seal, serve the biryani with raita.
Making The Biryani In Pressure Cooker
- You can prepare this biryani in Pressure Cooker also. For Pressure Cooker process you don't need to cook the rice before.Just heat 1 tablespoon of ghee in a Pressure Cooker and add Cloves 5 to 6, Green cardamom pods 5 to 6, Cinnamon stick 1" long stick , Black cardamom 2, Shah Jeera 1 tablespoon and some salt and fry till a nice aroma comes from the whole spices.
- Now add the soaked rice to the Cooker and fry for a minute. Add the cooked Prawn along with the masala to the Pressure Cooker.
- Add 2 1/2 cup of water into the Pressure Cooker. Pressure cook the Biryani for 2 whistle on High heat. Turn off the oven and let the pressure release itself .
- When all the pressure is released by itself, open the lid and your Biryani is ready to serve
If you like my recipes, go to my Facebook Page & like my page for regular updates.