Chingrir(Prawn or Shrimp) is one of my most favorite seafood. I love this in any form of cooking. My mom cooks prawn or shrimp in every possible way. She says "It is such a versatile item that can be cooked with minimum ingredients and will receive the maximum taste, if you add chingri in any vegetable it will change the taste and makes it a mouthwatering dish".
Chingrir Jhol Or Bengali Style Light Prawn Curry
Chingrir(Prawn or Shrimp) is one of my most favorite seafood. I love this in any form of cooking. My mom cooks prawn or shrimp in every possible way. She says "It is such a versatile item that can be cooked with minimum ingredients and will receive the maximum taste, if you add chingri in any vegetable it will change the taste and makes it a mouthwatering dish". In monsoon a special kind of prawn are available in Kolkata, which is indeed a very rare variety or shrimp family, called 'Dhanbune chingri'. Means this type of chingri can be found in paddy field only. This kind of chingri grows eggs in their legs and they tastes so good. Mom cooks this 'Dhanbune chingri' with Plantain or Drumsticks(kanchakolka or sojne danta). I'm going to share my mom's recipe of "chingrir jhol', and this can be cooked any white shrimps, not with golda though. This 'Chingrir Jhol' should be served with steamed rice & gondhoraj lebu.
Ingredients of Chingrir Jhol
- Medium size Chingri/prawn 10 pieces, cleaned divined but with the heads n tails on
- Mustard oil 3 tablespoons
- Panch foron 1/2 teaspoon
- Green chilies 2 or to taste
- Drumstick or plantain 2, peeled & cut into lengthwise
- Potato 1, peeled and cut into lengthwise
- Cumin powder 2 teaspoons
- Coriander powder 2 teaspoons
- Turmeric powder 1 teaspoon
- Salt to taste
- Sugar(optional) 1/2 teaspoon
- Warm water 1 cup or as much as you thick as you want your curry
How to make Chingrir Jhol Recipe
- Take a medium size pan, add the cleaned prawns, add 1 cup of water, little salt and turmeric and boil it for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Now take a pan or wok, heat oil in it till smokes, temper the oil with panch foron and crushed chilies, and fry for few seconds. Keep an eye on it, the panch foron gets burnt easily.
- Add vegetables like potato, drumsticks, plantain and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Fry everything for 1 to 2 minutes.
- In the meantime take a small bowl, add the ground spices like cumin, coriander, turmeric and add 2 to 3 tablespoons of water and mix to make a paste.
- After frying the vegetables add the spice paste to the pan along with some sugar(optional) and little salt.
- Coat the vegetables with the spice paste and fry for 30 seconds and then add the boiled prawns along with the water too(this boiled prawns water will increase the taste of the curry), warm water.
- Cover the pan and simmer the gas to cook the vegetables. It'll take at least 5 minutes.
- After 5 minutes check if the vegetables are cooked enough or not, keep cover if not, uncovered and higher the gas if the vegetables are cooked and boil the curry for couple of minutes.
- Check the salt, add if required.
- Turn of the stove after 2minutes.
- Enjoy the light Prawn curry with steamed rice & gondhoraj lebu.
- Don't forget to send me your feedback after relishing the dish....