Tel Koi or Climbing Perch Fish in Mustard Oil Gravy
This recipe is a very popular Bengali "Koi Fish" recipe in a rich, thick, spicy only Mustard Oil based recipe, which should be served with Plain Steamed Rice as Lunch. This recipe does not come in a regular lunch menu, but for the guests, this is a very good item for lunch.
Ingredients of Tel Koi
- Koi Fish 6 cleaned and washed
- Mustard oil 1 cup
- Onion juice 4 tablespoons (grate a large onion and strain the juice with a clean cheese cloth)
- Ginger Paste 1 tablespoon
- Garlic paste 1 tablespoon
- Green chili 4
- Tomato Puree 1 tablespoon
- Bay Leaf 1
- Cloves 2 /3
- Cardamom pods 2
- Cinnamon 1 stick
- Coriander Powder 1 teaspoon
- Cumin Powder 1 teaspoon
- Turmeric powder 1 Tablespoon
- Red Chilli Powder As per taste
- Unsweetened Yogurt 2 tablespoons lightly beaten
- Salt As per taste
- Sugar As per taste
- Cilantro (Chopped) To garnish
You may also like
How to make Tel Koi Recipe
- Marinate the fish with turmeric powder and salt. Let it stand for 1/2 an hour.
- Heat oil in wok, when it smokes, simmer. Fry one fish at a time, till they turn deep golden on both sides. Take them out from the wok and keep aside.
- Now in the same oil add 2 green chilies, bay leaf , cinnamon, cloves, cardamom pods and lightly fry them.In the meanwhile make a paste of cumin, coriander, turmeric, red chilli powder, tomato puree and keep aside .
- When the green chilies and whole spices are lightly fried add the ginger, garlic paste and the onion juice and fry for 30 seconds.
- After 30 seconds add the masala paste which you made before, tomato puree, some salt & sugar and fry till oil separates from the masala.When oil starts separating from masala add the yogurt, and fry for 1 minute on low heat.
- After frying the masala add 1/3 cup of water to it and the fried fish and bring the gravy to boil for 5-7 minutes. After boiling the gravy turn off the stove and place the Tel Koi in a serving bowl and garnish with cilantro ,,green chilies and serve with steamed rice.
- Remember this dish is an oil based gravy. So it will be very spicy and oily gravy.
NotesIf you are using fresh "Koi" fish then no need to add onion juice, ginger and garlic. Only spice powder , salt, sugar, oil and fresh fish will be enough to make the "Tel Koi" delicious.
Recipe Review Details
Recipe Rank - 4.48/5
No of likes - 393