Shrimp Croquettes Or Chingrir Chop
Chingrir Chop is a famous Bengali snacks item from "Tele Bhaja"(deep fried) shops of Kolkata.
Ingredients of Chingrir Chop
For the Filling :
- Shrimps Or Choto Chingri 250 gm cleaned deshelled
- Turmeric 1/2 teaspoon
- Salt 1/2 teaspoon
- Mustard oil 2 tablespoons
- Cumin seeds 1/2 teaspoon
- Boiled & mashed potato 2 medium size
- Onion 1 small, chopped
- Ginger 1 teaspoon, grated
- Garlic 1 teaspoon, grated
- Green chilis 2, or adjust to your taste, chopped
- Turmeric powder 1/3 teaspoon
- Garam masala powder 1 decent pinch
- Salt & sugar to taste
- Carrom seeds or Ajwain 1/2 teaspoon
- Cumin seeds 1 teaspoon
- Coriander seeds 1 teaspoon
- All purpose flour Or Maida 1/2 cup
For Egg Batter :
- Egg white of 2 eggs
- Bengal gram flour Or Besan 1/2 cup
- Turmeric 1/2 teaspoon
- Salt 1 decent pinch
- Water to make batter not too thick not too thin
For Coating :
- Bread crumb 2 cups, I used homemade as I couldn't find it here so made it at home. If you want to make, take 4 white bread slices, cut the brown edges, roughly tear them and put into a dry grinder, grind for 30 seconds, and you will get freshly made breadcrumb.
- Salt 1 pinch
- Crashed black pepper powder 1 decent pinch
Other Ingredients :
- Vegetable or Peanut oil for deep frying
- Black salt for sprinking on the Chops
- Ketchup, Chopped onion & cucumber for serving.
You may also like
How to make Chingrir Chop Recipe
Making The Filling :
- Take the cleaned shrimps, marinate with turmeric and salt and keep aside.
- Take a small pan, heat and dry roast cumin and coander seeds, let it cool down completely and grind to make coarse powder. This powder called 'Bhaja Moshla'.
- Heat mustard oil in a pan, add cumin seeds and fry for few seconds. Now add chopped onion, chopped chilies, grated ginger and garlic and fry till everything become nice golden in color.
- Sprinkle some water to prevent the mixture get burnt. Now add turmeric, salt, sugar and marinated shrimps.
- Fry for a while. Add mashed boiled potatoes and mix everything all together. Check salt and sugar. Add the garam masala powder, bhaja moshla, ajwain and mix with the potato shrimp mixture.
- Let the mixture to cool down completely. When everything will be comletely cool down, make small balls out of the shrimp potato mixture.
Making The Chops :
- Take a medium bowl, add besan, egg white, salt, turmeric and mix. Now add little water at a time. The batter will be thinner than pakoda batter.
- When you will get the right consistancy of the batter stop adding water and keep aside.
- Pour the maida on a flat plate, and roll the shrimp potato mixture balls on the maida.
- Dip each ball/chop into egg batter and roll into bread crumb. Now the Chops/Croquettes are ready to deep fry.
- But I used to keep chops into refrigerator for 3-4 hours or overnight befor frying. In this way the binding becomes nice. Usually I make the chops 1 day before frying.
- Now heat enough oil into a deep frying pan, when the oil is medium hot, add 2-3 chops at a time and slowly fry them till the chops are nice golden brown.
- But remember, fry them in medium or lower hot oil, otherwise they won't be crispy. Take the fried Chingrir Chop out of the oil, sprinkle black salt on them and serve hot with ketchup and chopped onion cucumber. You may serve with Kasundi(bengali mustard sauce).
Enjoy.... If you like the recipe, please go to my Facebook Page and hit the like button for regular updates.
Serving TipsBite size 'Chingrir Chop' Or 'Shrimp Croquettes' should be served with Bengali Mustard Sauce, Tomato Ketchut & Chopped Cucumber.
NotesThis is the best easy snacks for Durga Puja's adda. Quick and easy snacks can be served with Tea, Coffee, Soft or Hard Drinks.
Recipe Review Details
Recipe Rank - 4.8/5
No of likes - 50