Kanchakola Or Plantain Kofta Curry
Raw Banana is not edible without cooking. And there are not that much variety of cooking Raw banana in Indian cuisine. A few dishes are made with this fruit, such as chips, curry, cutlets or fritters. This plantain has less sugar & more starch than normal banana .
Ingredients of Kanchakolar Kofta Curry
- Kanchakola Or Plantain 1 large
- Potato 2 medium size
- Onion, chopped 1/2 cup
- Green chili, chopped as per taste
- Bhaja Masala 2 tablespoons
- Salt & sugar as per taste
- Bengal Gram Flour or Besan 1/2 cup or as required to make a firm dough.
- Vegetable oil for shallow fry
For Bhaja Masala :
- Cumin seeds 1 teaspoon
- Coriander seeds 1 teaspoon
- Whole red chili 1
For Gravy :
- Potato 1 medium size cut into cubes
- Onion 1 medium size boiled and blended
- Ginger garlic paste 2 teaspoons
- Tomato 1 large size boiled and blended
- Cumin Powder 1 teaspoon
- Coriander powder 1 teaspoon
- Turmeric powder 1/2 teaspoon
- Red chili powder 1 teaspoon or to taste
- Salt and sugar as per taste
- Cumin seeds 1 teaspoon
- Bay leaf 1 large
- Garam masala powder 1/2 teaspoon
- Vegetable oil 2 tablespoons
- Ghee 1 tablespoon
You may also like
Step 1 :
Making the Koftas :
- Cut the whole Raw Banana from the middle, without peeling the skin, pressure cook the Raw Banana & Potato up to 2 whistles, and keep aside the pressure cooker for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes open the pressure cooker, take the boiled banana & potatoes from the cooker and keep aside to cook down completely.
- In the meantime make the "Bhaja Masala" by dry roasting Cumin Seeds, Coriander seeds & Whole red chili, and ground them to make a coarse powder, keep aside. Now peel the skin of the banana & potato, & into a large bowl mash them without leaving any lumps.
- In the same bowl, add chopped onion, chili, salt, sugar, bhaja masala and mix well. Now add Besan, but do not add all the besan at a time, add as required to make the soft but not sticky dough.
- Divide the dough into equal portions. Apply some mustard oil on your palm, take each portion, roll into balls and slightly flatten each ball into a patty shape.
- Heat oil in a wok, place the koftas on the hot oil and on a medium flame deep fry till they turn golden.
- Place on a paper towel to use later.
Step 2 :
Making the gravy:
- Now take a non-stick pan and heat oil in it. Fry the Cubed potatoes till light brown and put them on a bowl.
- Now add the cumin seeds and bay leaf to the oil. When the cumin seeds started crackles add the ginger garlic paste and fry for 2-3 seconds.
- Now add the boiled and blended onion and some salt & sugar and fry till the onion becomes caramelized. In this time make a paste with turmeric powder, coriander, red chili powder and some salt.
- When the onion started to change colour add the masala paste and fry till oil separates from the masala.
- Add the blended tomato to the masala and fry for couple of minutes. Add the fried potatoes and mix with the masala very well. Now add 1 cup of warm water the pan and boil the gravy till potatoes are cooked.
- When the potatoes will be cooked enough add the fried koftas and off the oven. Do not boil the gravy after adding the koftas. Sprinkle some garam masala & ghee and serve with rice or chapaties.
Recipe Review Details
Recipe Rank - 4.84/5
No of likes - 63