Hello everyone and welcome to my blog. Today I'm going to share a recipe which I'm making few years ago in my USA days, and the dish has become so popular among my guests and family, so I've decided to pen it down on my blog. Actually I'm writing a blog after a long gap. Why? actually in between I was delivering home cooked food in Hyderabad where I stay. After seeing my blog many of my readers and followers wanted me to cook for them, actually one of my followers wanted me to cook lunch for his daughter's marriage function, and that is how my Food Business has started. Now I'm a FSSAI holder and got an award by FBAI of the best home chef in Hyderabad, what I've never expected but many of my clients' thought I deserved it. And if you're dedicated to a particular work you can't concentrate in other works. And so that happened to my blog. It suffered a lot due to my food business. Thanks to my health issues, I've again started doing blogging after a long back. Anyways Chicken Malaikari Or Murgh Malaikari 'MalaiKari' is the dish which is very close to my heart. No no I've not adopted this from any of my granny's. I've invented it. In USA the chicken we used to get was not very tasty, they were always been frozen so mostly tasteless. So I didn't use to cook regular Jhol, I used to prepare some exotic dishes so I can add some taste in the chicken. So I started experimenting on different types Chicken curries. Most of the time, the curries came out super delicious but sometimes the experiments were not up to the mark. But this 'Chicken Malaikari' never disappointed me. Once I cooked it for our lunch along with steamed rice, and my not so foodie Husband gave me 5 stars for the dish. And I was like over the sky in joy. And after that, when we invited my husband's Malayali colleague for dinner and I served this dish along with fish fry, prawn ghee roast and this 'Chicken Malaikari' with Steamy hot Basmati rice & kachumber salad, he kept asking me to serve this dish thrice. And told me he had a great dinner after long time. In those day I was not blogging. But when I've started blogging, I totally forgot about this dish. Finally doing it. This dish is basically poultry version of Chingri Malaikari but with little changes. This dish is coconut based gravy and goes best with steamed basmati rice. So I'm not going to make you bore ,just go and check the wonderful yet easy recipe.
Chicken malaikari recipe is a fusion bengali recipe, here we'll add coconut milk to enhance the flavore of chicken. This type of coconut infused recipes are very common and mostly in South Indian and in south Asian country. This type of curries are popular in Thailand.
Ingredients of Chicken Malaikari | Murgh Malaikari
- 500 Gram - Chicken bone in pieces.
- 2 Tablespoon - Hung curd.
- 1/2 Cup(s) - Onion paste.
- 1 Tablespoon - Ginger & garlic paste, will not more than that, the flavore of garlic will over lapped on coconut milk.
- 1 Teaspoon(s) - Green chili paste.
- 1/2 Teaspoon(s) - Turmeric.
- 1 Tablespoon - Cumin powder.
- 1 Tablespoon - Coriander powder.
- 1/2 Teaspoon(s) - Garam masala powder.
- 1/4 Teaspoon(s) - Javetry powder.
- 3 Tablespoon - Mustard oil.
- 1/3 Cup(s) - Cashew & Charmagaj Paste.
- 2 Green chilis.
- 1/2 Cup(s) - Thick Coconut milk.
- Salt & sugar, as per taste.
- 1 Teaspoon(s) - Ghee.
How to make Chicken Malaikari | Murgh Malaikari Recipe
- Take the chicken and wash under tap water thoroughly. Then keep in a strainer for 30 minutes to rinse the excess water.
- Now take a bowl add the curd, onion paste, ginger & garlic paste, green chili paste, turmeric, cumin coriander powder, garam masala powder, javetry powder, salt & 1 tablespoon of Mustard oil. Mix all these ingredients using your hand. Now add the chicken into the mixture and nicely coat the marination all over the chicken. Nicely rub the chicken pieces. Cover the bowl with a lid and keep aside for 2 hours.
- After 2 hours, heat rest of the 2 tablespoon of Mustard oil in a kadai, a add all the chicken pieces along with the marination and keep stirring. Nicely stir the
- chicken pieces for 5 minutes and after that simmer the gas and cover the pan for 5 minutes.
- After 5 minutes, open the lid, you'll see lots of water has come out from the chicken. Now add the cashew & magaj paste, few broken green chilies to the kadai and keep the flame on higher, and keep stirring everything till all the excess evaporates.
- Now add 1 cup of warm water to the chicken and cover the pan and let the chicken cook on simmer for 6 to 8 minute.
- After 6 minutes, check if the chicken is cooked of not, if not keep it for another 2/3 minutes. And then add the thick coconut milk, give the chicken a gentle stir to mix it with coconut milk, cook uncovered for 1 minute and then turn off the gas, add 1 tablespoon ghee & put a lid over the kadai and keep as it is for 30 minutes fo till serving.
- Serve creamy Chicken Malaikari with Basmati Rice and cucumber salad. Enjoy....
Serving TipsServe Chicken Malaikari with hot steamed Basmati rice and cucumber salad.
NotesYou may skip adding ghee. You may add fresh cream instead of coconut milk, if you don't like the smell of coconut . Cooking time, varies from place to place, so when you're going to cook it, adjust the time as per your experience. Adjust the quantity of oil as per your choice and you can cook in canola/vegetable oil instead of mustard oil.
Recipe Review Details
Recipe Rank - 0/5
No of likes - 0